Global Advisor – Project Management Profession
Louis J. Mercken, PMP
Louis J. Mercken, MBA, PMP, PMI Fellow has over 40 years of experience as an executive in large multinational companies, including European Information Technology Executive for Exxon Chemical, CIO of CSC Europe, and Worldwide CIO of Union Miniere (Suez Group). He is a former owner, international partner and chairman of the board for the Threon Group, an organization that provides services in project management consulting, assessment and training throughout Europe. In this role, he worked with large international organizations to promote and introduce a project management culture. He had more than 6,000 participants in his programs since 1997.
Mr. Mercken is a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). He holds a bachelor degree in Economics and an MBA in Finance/Accountancy. Mr. Mercken also holds degrees in Operations Research and Computer Sciences. He also followed the INSEAD Management Program (France) and the IMEDE (Switzerland) extended program for executives. From 2002-2011, he has been executive professor in project management at Antwerp Universities Management School (UAMS) responsible for the PM Master Classes. From mid-1997 through 1999, he was visiting professor in project management excellence at the International Institute for Project Management at the Leonardo da Vinci University in Paris.
A leader and volunteer for the Project Management Institute (PMI®) for many years, Louis served three terms on the PMI Board of Directors, serving as Chairman of the Board in 2005. His PMI leadership roles have included the following:
- Founder, board member and president of the PMI Benelux Chapter (1998-2001) a chapter that grew from its creation in 1998 to the second largest in Europe by 2001.
- Member of the PMI Board of Directors Worldwide (3 terms 2002-2004, 2005-2006 and 2009-2011)
- 2002 – PMI Worldwide Board Member, Governance Committee Member, PMI Officer – Secretary Treasurer
- 2003 – PMI Worldwide Board Member, Governance Committee Member, PMI Officer – Secretary Treasurer
- 2004 – PMI Worldwide Board Member, Governance Committee Member, PMI Officer – Vice Chair
- 2005 – PMI Chairman of the Board, Governance Committee Member, PMI Officer; Member Board Leadership Continuity Project; Co-Initiator and Member of the PMI CTP Taskforce (Community Transformation Project)
- 2006 – PMI Worldwide Board Member, Past Chair; led board in program of work
- 2008 – Member of PMI BMATT (Model Assessment Task Force)
- 2009 – PMI Worldwide Board Member; Member of Future CEO Competences Task Team
- 2010 – PMI Worldwide Board Member; Chair of the Gaylord Taskforce – CEO Executive Search
- 2011 – PMI Worldwide Board Member; Chair of the PMIEF (Project Management Institute Educational Foundation) Taskforce
Louis was named an Honorary Member of the PMI Netherlands Chapter in 2006 for his approval and active support to the offspring in 2001 of the PMI NL Chapter from the PMI Benelux Chapter of which he was the President. He was awarded the PMI Fellow Award in 2007, PMI’s highest and most prestigious award that is presented to an individual. In 2009 he received Life Time Achievement Recognition from the PMI Belgium Chapter.
Louis Mercken can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org