PM WORLD BOOK REVIEW
Book Title: Leading & Managing Innovation
Authors: Russell D. Archibald, Shane C. Archibald
Publisher: Infinity Publishing
List Price: US$31.22 – paperback
Publication Date: 2013
Reviewer: Massimo Pica
Review Date: June 2013
The attention of readers of this book is immediately captured by the following subtitle: ‘What Every Executive Team Must Know about Project, Program & Portfolio Management’.
The authors, Russ Archibald – the worldwide authoritative project management thought leader – and his grandson Shane C. Archibald, are particularly emphasizing the systematic lack of influential support in favor of project management by high level corporate executives, who should carefully read this book, and be specifically insightful of its views, since, in the authors’ eyes, they are responsible for neglecting the fact that ’all significant innovations today are achieved through projects and programs’! This is a clear message from the book (entailing an effective principle from the Enterprise Project Management discipline), which goes on by listing some notable characteristics of innovation:
- The starting point of innovation is the generation of creative ideas.
- Innovation concerns the search for and the discovery, experimentation, development, imitation and adoption of new products and services, new processes and new organizational arrangements.
- Innovation is the conversion of knowledge and ideas into a benefit.
- Innovation transforms ideas into commercial value.
Three project management concepts are discussed primarily:
- Assignment of integrative responsibilities for projects and programs at different levels.
- Application of integrated project planning and control information systems.
- Execution of the project work by integrated teams of people.
About the Reviewer
Massimo Pica graduated in Chemical Engineering at “Sapienza” University in Rome, Italy. Recently retired from active service with the rank of Brigadier General in the Corps of Professional Engineers of the Italian Army. Throughout his career Gen. Pica built up significant experiences in Project Management, and especially Project Cost Management, as he participated in a number of NATO and international programs for the design, development and production of advanced defense systems. His current activities are in the area of specialist training on Project Management and Economic Engineering. He is a member of European Council of Construction Economics. His e-mail address is: email@example.com